Diploma of College Foundation Studies
Diploma of College Foundation Studies
- 1-year full-time studies
- Students can obtain conditional offers through the Special Admission Scheme of HKBU Higher Diploma Programmes offered by SCE and Associate Degree Programmes offered by CIE
- English is used as the main medium of instruction to enhance students’ language abilities in listening, speaking, reading and writing
- A selection of elective courses are offered to provide students with the opportunities to gain knowledge from different disciplines and broaden their horizons
- This programme will develop students’ personal values
School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Baptist University
The School of Continuing Education (SCE) of Hong Kong Baptist University was founded in 1975 and is one of the seven schools or faculties of the University. The educational objectives of the SCE are based on the notion “Learning is a lifelong process”. The School has been providing people of all ages with ways and options for professional and academic advancement to meet the needs of the rapidly changing society. This programme aims to develop students’ English language skills, academic literacy and numeracy skills and prepare them for local sub-degree and overseas undergraduate studies. It is designed to equip students with skills in English language proficiency, communication, personal development, mathematics, analytical skills and other areas that would broaden students’ horizons.
This programme consists of seven core courses and two elective courses, totaling 450 hours.
|Subject Code||Course Title||Hours|
|Language and Communication (4 courses)|
|DFS3101||Integrated English Skills I||60|
|DFS3102||Integrated English Skills II||60|
|DFS3103||English in Daily Life||45|
|DFS3104||English Grammar in Use||45|
|Meaning of Life (1 course)|
|DFS3301C||Personal Development Workshop||45|
|Numeracy and Research (2 courses)|
|DFS3201||Quantitative Analysis and Application||45|
|Electives courses (Any two courses)|
|DFS3401||English Language Test Preparation||45|
|DFS3405||Introduction to Business||45|
|DFS3406||Introduction to Sports Coaching||45|
|DFS3407||Introduction to Commercial Design||45|
|DFS3408||Crimes and Law Enforcement||45|
The School reserves the right to offer any elective courses.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma programme, graduates will be eligible to apply for the HKBU Higher Diploma Programmes offered by SCE and the HKBU Associate Degree Programme offered by CIE.*
Students who have obtained a passing grade and satisfied the attendance requirement in each course will be awarded the Diploma of College Foundation Studies.
|2019/20 Tuition Fee:||
HK$41,000 (by two instalments)
Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme
Students can apply for financial assistance through the Government’s Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (ENLS). For details, please refer to the website of the Student Finance Office (SFO) .
Continuing Education Fund
The Continuing Education Fund (CEF) subsidises adults with learning aspirations to pursue continuing education and training courses. Please refer to the website of CEF for details.
Click here for more information on the financial assistance available.
|Course Schedule||September 2019|
The admission requirements of the programme are as follows:
- Level 2 in Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) English Language and Chinese Language; OR
- Level 1 or above in HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language AND at least 6 points in the best five subjects*#; OR
- Other equivalent qualifications to be assessed by SCE.
*Application will still be considered if an applicant has attempted less than five subjects but obtained 6 points or above.
#Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application.
Applicants should bring the following documents for application:
- Original and photocopy of academic results [including HKDSE results notice or certificate/ HKAL/HKCEE certificate and other academic certificates (if applicable)];
- HKID card and photocopy;
- Application fee of HK$120 (to be paid by credit card/PPS on-line OR cash, octopus, EPS in-person).
Applicants can submit their application through the SCE Online Application System.
Application Period: Dec 2018 – Aug 2019
(Applications will be considered on a first-come-first-served basis)
(1) Kowloon Tong Campus
|Date||10 July 2019||11-12 July 2019|
|Time||09:00 – 18:00||09:00 – 17:00|
2/F, Sports Hall in Madam Kwok Chung Bo Fun Sports and Cultural Centre, Hong Kong Baptist University, 16 Baptist University Road, Kowloon Tong
(2) Shek Mun (Shatin) Campus
|Date||10 July 2019|
|Time||09:00 – 18:00|
Room 902, 9/F, Shek Mun (Shatin) Campus Centre,
Applicants should note that:
- The qualification obtained after completing the programme is not recognised for civil service appointment as meeting the academic entry requirement which require Level 2 in five subjects including Chinese Language and English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination;
- The qualification awarded by our School may not be recognised by other institutions for articulation to their sub-degree or other programmes; and
- Students will not be eligible for Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) administered by the Student Finance Office.
|Date||5 June 2019 (Wed)||8 July 2019 (Mon)|
SCE1102, 11/F, Madam Chan Wu Wan Kwai School of Continuing Education Tower, Hong Kong Baptist University, 9 Baptist University Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon (Campus Map)
|Seat Reservation||Please click HERE|
|This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund. This course / The mother course (Diploma of College Foundation Studies) of this module is recognized under the Qualification Framework (QF Level 3).|
The above information is for reference only. The School reserves the right to make alterations or to cancel any class/programme without prior notice. Students are advised to follow the requirements listed in the course information distributed on admission.