Certificate & Diploma Programmes
Certification Course for Kindergarten Principals (English Stream)
The Course aims at:
- developing and equipping participants with the leadership skills essential for taking up the principalship in a kindergarten; and
- strengthening the knowledge, skills and attitudes of serving principals.
After completing the Course, participants should be able to:
- develop mission and vision on his/her leadership role and continuous professional development, with a view to keeping abreast of the knowledge, skills and disposition on working towards quality ECE as well as a global perspective in the ever-changing era.
- understand the roles and functions of a kindergarten principal, the essential principles of management and supervision and awareness of relevant ordinances and regulations in planning, organizing, supervising, monitoring and evaluating kindergarten operation.
- work out strategies in building a shared vision with stakeholders including the kindergarten sponsoring body, managers, teachers, and parents.
- devise appropriate strategies to execute effective resource management, promote quality ECE and the schools’ sustainable development, accountability and school self-evaluation.
- make appropriate planning and evaluation for professional development and appraisal of teachers.
- evaluate and enhance the effectiveness of planned and implemented curricula in facilitating student learning.
- take the lead in cultivating a positive learning environment in school through support for students with diverse needs.
- understand the important role of community resources and to build connections between school and the community.
- build effective home-school cooperation mechanism to enhance parents’ involvement in school activities and understanding of their children’s development.
As required by the Education Bureau (EDB), in order to upgrade the professionalism of kindergarten principals, all new principals from the 2009/10 school year should possess a degree in early childhood education, one-year post-qualification experience, and should have completed the Certification Course for Kindergarten Principal before, or exceptionally within the first year of their appointment.
The course was restructured in accordance with the EDB's refined course framework in 2019. Graduates of this Course are recognised by the EDB as meeting one of the requirements for registration as kindergarten principals in Hong Kong.
This Course consists of core and elective modules, totaling 120 contact hours of instruction in all, and a 30-hour self-study term paper.
|Subject Code||Course Title||Hours|
|CECE 2711||Management and Organization||42|
|CECE 2712||Learning and Teaching||27|
|CECE 2713||School Culture and Support for Children||21|
|CECE 2714||Children’s Development||18|
|Elective Modules (any 1 out of the 4 modules)|
|CECE 2715||Be an Effective Leader||12|
|CECE 2716||Curriculum and Assessment for Children with Diverse Needs||12|
|CECE 2717||Mass Media and School Crisis||12|
|CECE 2718||Home-school Partnership||12|
(30-hour assignment on a self-proposed topic on school work) *
* A workshop and three 30-minute academic consultation sessions (via e-mail/telephone/face-to-face meetings) on the term paper will be provided for the participants, if required.
- This Course will be conducted in a part-time mode. It takes around 12 months to complete the whole course, including the submission of the term paper.
- Lessons will be held on weekday evenings and Saturday afternoons (normally one lesson per week).
- Delivery methods include lecture, tutorial, group discussion and case study.
- Course work is required in each taught module.
Upon successful completion of this Course, participants will be awarded the “Certificate for Kindergarten Principals” by the School.
|Application Fee:||HK$120* (non-refundable)|
|Tuition Fee:||HK$25,500* (by two instalments)|
* subject to revision
The School offers discount on Short Courses / Certificate and Diploma programmes* to the following categories of applicants：
- Senior Citizen Card holders: 50% off
- HKBU Foundation members: 20% off
- HKBU full-time staff: 20% off
- HKBU alumni at Higher Diploma / Associate Degree level or above who are HKBU Hang Seng Credit Card holders: 20% off
* The discount is not applicable to all CEF reimbursable courses and may not apply to some programmes. Please check with the Programme Teams concerned.
To be announced
Applicants should be：
- Aspiring kindergarten principals with Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education) (BEd(ECE)) degree (or equivalent) or Post-graduate Diploma in Education (Early Childhood Education) (PGDE(ECE)) and at least three years’ teaching experience in a kindergarten, or
- Serving kindergarten principals in Hong Kong.
To be announced
To be announced
To be announced
|This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund. This course / The mother course (Certification Course for Kindergarten Principals) of the modules is recognised under the Qualifications Framework (QF Level 4).|
- Starting from 8 October 2022 (Saturday), the University’s venue QR code designated for the LeaveHomeSafe mobile app will be displayed at all campus entrances. Students are requested to scan the QR code using LeaveHomeSafe before entering the campus.
- Campus users are still required to fulfil the Vaccine Pass requirements when entering scheduled premises, such as sports facilities and catering premises, specified under the Prevention and Control of Disease (Requirements and Directions) (Business and Premises) Regulation (Cap. 599F).
- All classes will be delivered face-to-face in 2022 Summer Term. However, the School reserves the right to switch to online or mixed mode teaching in accordance with the latest development of the COVID-19 pandemic situation.