Certification Course for Kindergarten Principals (English Stream)
The Course aims at:
- developing and equipping participants with the leadership skills essential for taking up the principalship in a kindergarten; and
- strengthening the knowledge, skills and attitudes of serving principals.
After completing the Course, participants should be able to:
- develop mission and vision on his/her leadership role and continuous professional development, with a view to keeping abreast of the knowledge, skills and disposition on working towards quality ECE as well as a global perspective in the ever-changing era.
- understand the roles and functions of a kindergarten principal and the essential principles of management and supervision with awareness of relevant ordinances and regulations in planning, organizing, supervising, monitoring and evaluating kindergarten operation.
- work out strategies for building a shared vision with stakeholders including the kindergarten sponsoring body, managers, teachers, and parents.
- devise appropriate strategies to execute effective resource management, and promote quality ECE and the schools’ sustainable development, accountability and self-evaluation.
- make appropriate planning and evaluation for professional development and appraisal of teachers.
- uphold professional conduct of teachers.
- evaluate and enhance the effectiveness of planned and implemented curricula in facilitating student learning.
- take the lead in cultivating a positive and safe learning environment in school through support for students with diverse needs.
- understand the importance of community resources and to build connections between school and the community.
- build effective home-school cooperation mechanism to enhance parents’ understanding of their children’s development and involvement in school activities.
As required by the Education Bureau (EDB), in order to upgrade the professionalism of kindergarten principals, all new principals from the 2009/10 school year should possess a degree in early childhood education, one-year post-qualification experience, and should have completed the Certification Course for Kindergarten Principal before, or exceptionally within the first year of their appointment.
The Course was restructured in accordance with the EDB’s refined course framework in 2019. Graduates of this Course are recognised by the EDB as meeting one of the requirements for registration as kindergarten principals in Hong Kong.
This Course consists of core and elective modules, totaling 120 contact hours of instruction in all, and a 30-hour self-study term paper.
|Subject Code||Course Title||Hours|
|CECE 2711||Management and Organization||42|
|CECE 2712||Learning and Teaching||27|
|CECE 2713||School Culture and Support for Children||21|
|CECE 2714||Children’s Development||18|
|Elective Modules (any 1 out of the 4 modules)|
|CECE 2715||Be an Effective Leader||12|
|CECE 2716||Curriculum and Assessment for Children with Diverse Needs||12|
|CECE 2717||Mass Media and School Crisis||12|
|CECE 2718||Home-school Partnership||12|
(30-hour assignment on a self-proposed topic on school work) *
* A workshop and three 30-minute academic consultation sessions (via e-mail, telephone or online/face-to-face meetings) on the term paper will be provided for the participants, if required.
- This Course will be conducted in a part-time mode. It takes around 12 months to complete the whole course, including the submission of the term paper.
- Lessons will be held on weekday evenings and Saturday mornings/afternoons (normally one lesson per week).
- Delivery methods include lecture, tutorial, group discussion and case study.
- Course work is required in each taught module.
- The Course will normally be conducted in a face-to-face mode. If face-to-face classes need to be suspended due to special social circumstances, this Course may be conducted in an e-learning mode.
Upon successful completion of this Course, participants will be awarded the “Certificate for Kindergarten Principals” by the School.
|Application Fee:||HK$150* (non-refundable)|
|Tuition Fee:||HK$26,400* (by two instalments)|
* subject to revision
Autumn (September) 2023 Intake
September 2023 – September 2024
Wan Chai Learning Centre
Remarks: The class schedule and venue will be changed if deemed necessary.
Applicants should be：
- Aspiring kindergarten principals with Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education) (BEd(ECE)) degree (or equivalent) or Post-graduate Diploma in Education (Early Childhood Education) (PGDE(ECE)) and at least three years’ teaching experience in kindergartens, or
- Serving kindergarten principals in Hong Kong.
Application Deadline: 16 June 2023 (Friday)
(A) Application through Online System
- Please download and read “Application Guide” before submitting your application;
- Please download and complete the “Supplementary Form” and “Certification of Employment”, scan and save the completed forms as PDF format;
- Enter SCE Online Application System and fill in the required data;
- Upload the completed “Supplementary Form”, “Certification of Employment”, a recent photo and the digital files of the required supporting documents (please refer to the “Application Guide”); and
- Pay an application fee of HK$150 by credit card or PPS through the Online Payment Gateway.
(B) Application through hard-copy submission
- Please download and read “Application Guide” before submitting your application;
- Please download and complete the whole set of “Application Form, Supplementary Form and Certification of Employment”;
- Please submit by post/ hand the completed “Application Form”, “Supplementary Form”, “Certification of Employment”, a recent photo and the photocopies of the required supporting documents (please refer to the “Application Guide”) on or before the above specified application deadline to:
Early Childhood and Elementary Education Division
School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Baptist University
2/F, Franki Centre, 320 Junction Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
(Please mark “Application for CKGP (Eng)” on the envelope)
Monday to Friday
9:00 am – 5:50 pm
Remarks：Applicants should make sure that the mail item meets the required postage and specifications of the Hong Kong Post Office, otherwise it might not be delivered to the School. For any late application due to delivery delay, the School reserves the right of not processing or accepting the application, and the paid application fee will not be refunded.
- Pay an application fee of HK$150 by cheque, e-banking or ATM. Please refer to the “Application Guide” for details.
23 May 2023 (Tuesday)
7:00 – 8:00 pm
The Information Session will be conducted online via Zoom. Please register here on or before 19 May 2023. A Zoom link will be sent to the registered participants via email after the deadline.
An acknowledgement letter will be sent to applicants via email within 14 working days upon receipt of applications. For applicants who do not receive any notice by then, please contact the Programme Administration Section by email (email@example.com) or telephone (3411 4310).
16 June 2023
Notification of Application Results
By 31 July 2023
The School reserves the right to make alterations or to cancel any class/ programme without prior notice
|This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund. This course / The mother course (Certification Course for Kindergarten Principals) of the modules is recognised under the Qualifications Framework (QF Level 4).|
The above information is for reference only. The School reserves the right to make alterations or to cancel any class/programme without prior notice.
Programmes offered by the School of Continuing Education (leading to HKBU awards or SCE awards, or collaborative programmes) are conducted at various teaching venues, including Kowloon Tong and Shek Mun (Shatin) Campuses and Learning Centres in Tsimshatsui, Kowloon East, and Wan Chai. These venues are well-equipped to support students’ studies. While most of the classes are held at either the Kowloon Tong Campus or the Shek Mun Campus, depending on the School’s development, students may be assigned to take classes at other venues during their study period.