Certificate & Diploma Programmes
Certificate Course on Student Guidance and Discipline for Teachers of Primary Schools
The School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU SCE) is commissioned by the Education Bureau (EDB) to provide this course for teachers in primary schools. The objectives of the course are:
- To facilitate participating teachers’ personal growth through experiential activities
- To equip participating teachers with necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to integrate guidance and discipline work in the school system
- To help participating teachers understand and manage students’ behavior
- To help participating teachers develop, implement and evaluate their school-based guidance and discipline work
The course is structured according to the requirements as stipulated by the EDB. It consists of five modules, totaling 102 hours:
|Subject Code||Course Title||Hours|
Delivery methods include lectures, workshops, group activities, case studies and role-plays.
- Course participants are required to attend all sessions punctually.
- Course participants who have attained a class attendance rate of 80% or above * and completed 2 assignments satisfactorily (Grade D or above) will be awarded the “Certificate of Student Guidance and Discipline for Teachers of Primary Schools” ** by the HKBU SCE.
- CPD hours will only be revealed in Teacher’s Personal Profile on the e-services Portal of the EDB upon participants’ successful completion of the course as stated in item 2 of this part.
* The minimum number of required lessons for different modules will be stated in the admission package. In case a course participant fails to fulfil the above-mentioned class attendance requirement, he/she may seek special consideration for alternative arrangement to make up for his/her absences by providing the HKBU SCE with reasons for absences in writing together with the relevant documents.
** Graduation certificates and transcripts are expected to be available for collection in November 2019.
|Tuition Fee:||The tuition fee is fully subsidised by the Government.|
|Course Duration||27 SEP 2018–18 JUL 2019|
|Class Schedule & Venue||Course participants are normally required to attend one class session per week.
(Mon-Fri: 6:30 pm-9:30 pm; Sat: 9:30 am-12:30 pm)
There will be a whole-day workshop on “Personal Growth for Teachers” for Module 1 on a Saturday (tentatively scheduled at 9:30 am-4:30 pm). Exact date and time will be announced in due course.
|Class||Class A||Class B|
|Day||Every Monday #
(except public holidays)
|Every Thursday #
(except public holidays)
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
136A, Nathan Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
#Some of the class sessions will be held on other weekdays and/or Saturdays, if necessary. Exact dates will be announced in due course.
Orientation Day: All course participants are required to attend the Orientation to be held on 18 SEP 2018 (Tuesday) at 6:15 pm-7:30 pm on the HKBU Kowloon Tong Campus. Successful applicants will be informed of the details of the event in due course.
Participants should be:
- A serving teacher in a primary school; and
- Nominated by school heads
(A) Priority will be given to applicants in the following order (experience counted as at 31 AUG 2018):
- Those whose school has had no teacher or less than 10% of teachers who has/have attended the same or relevant Certificate or Degree programme organised by tertiary institutions. Priority will be given to the schools with fewer number of the above trained teachers
- A member of the student guidance and discipline team in his/her school in the 2018/19 school year
- Those whose post ranking is higher
- Those who have more years of experiences in the Guidance/Discipline Team
- Those who have more years of teaching experiences
(B) Applicants who had previously attended this course or related courses will not be considered.
- Application Deadline: 15 MAY 2018 (Tuesday)
- Application Procedures (via Online Application)
Applicants are required to complete all the following tasks on or before the deadline specified above:
- Please click here to download the School Head’s Recommendation (Form A2). Applicants are required to scan and save the completed School Head’s Recommendation (Form A2) in PDF format.
- Please click here to enter the HKBU SCE Online Application System and fill in the required information.
- Please click here for the Supplementary Form (Form A1) and fill in the required information. Applicants are also required to upload the completed School Head’s Recommendation (Form A2) (PDF format) before submitting the completed Supplementary Form (Form A1) online.
- The School will acknowledge receipt of an application via the applicant’s personal e-mail account provided within 14 working days after the receipt of the whole set of application documents. If an applicant does not receive our acknowledgement after the above-specified period, please contact Ms. Wong of the Programme Administration Section at 3411 4310.
- Applicants will be notified of the application results and related details via their personal e-mail account provided in the application on or before 22 JUN 2018.
- Successful applicants should attend the course according to the schedule of the class assigned. Request for changing to another class will not be accepted.
- Successful applicants are accepted based on the recommendation of their current serving school heads. If applicants change schools in the 2018/19 school year, they must inform both the HKBU SCE and Education Bureau immediately.
The above information is for reference only. The School reserves the right to make alterations or to cancel any class/programme without prior notice. Students are advised to follow the requirements listed in the course information distributed on admission.