Applied Learning Courses
Applied Learning Courses ─ Tech Basics
高中應用學習課程 ─ 資訊科技精要
「Applied Learning」Course Features
The Senior Secondary Applied Learning Courses offered by the School aims to provide a choice of elective subjects as part of the New Senior Secondary (NSS) Curriculum. These subjects focus on broad professional and vocational fields in which students may have a future career interest. The unique features of the Applied Learning Courses are:
- allows students to deepen their understanding in a broad area in which they have a strong interest, with a view towards possibly developing their interest into a lifelong career.
- enables students to learn fundamental theoretical knowledge as well as practical and generic skills in their area of interest. These skills are often consolidated through hands-on experiential learning.
- provides a more holistic education in the New Senior Secondary Curriculum by teaching a wide range of competencies such as analytical, problem solving and presentation skills together with interpersonal skills such as team work, communication skills and a positive attitude towards lifelong learning.
- adopts a variety of teaching methods to motivate students to learn. This includes small group coaching, mentorships, company visits, simulation exercises, workshops, group games, role play and project work.
Taster Programmes for Senior Secondary Applied Learning Courses (2023-25 Cohort)
Technological advancement is affecting the nature of jobs globally. To maximize economic and social benefit in the age of globalisation and digitalisation, it is critical that secondary students are equipped with skills in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). As the name of the course implies, basic concepts of information technology will be introduced in this course including computer programming, database, IT project management skills, application development, data communication and networking. The course focuses on imparting essential knowledge in practice and application to students for new collar jobs. Upon the completion of the course, students will acquire basic knowledge in computer science and data analysis to prepare for employment in the IT industry or further studies.
Special Features :
Industry Experience Sharing from mentorship offered by industry professionals.
- Company Visit
Visit world's class Tech companies which expose students to the practical application of frontier technologies in IT.
- Industry Membership
Students aged 16 or above from Tech Basics course can apply as a Student Member in Hong Kong Computer Society.
Course Structure (total 6 modules)
Fundamentals of Information Technology (24 hours)
- Programming (39 hours)
IT Project Management Skills (24 hours)
Data Analysis and Database (30 hours)
- Application Development (39 hours)
- Data Communications and Networking (24 hours)
Mode 1 : HKBU(SCE) Learning Centres
Mode 2 : Students’ own school
Course fee will be fully subsidized by the Education Bureau and students do not need to pay.
Courses related to data analytics, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence
Data analyst, security analyst, AI software developer and project management
All students must apply through their schools for enrolment in ApL courses. Schools may consider nominating students for ApL courses in light of schools’ curriculum plan and students’ needs. Thus, students who are interested in enrolling in ApL courses need to obtain schools’ nomination for the application. The application results will be subject to the selection results from course providers.
If the ApL courses that students are interested in are not offered in school, students or parents can reflect their needs to the school management so that the school may explore the possibility of offering ApL courses in Mode 1.
For details, please visit the website of Education Bureau.
The above information is for reference only. The School reserves the right to make alterations or to cancel any class/programme without prior notice.