Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education
The Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education (PGDECE) programme aims to develop the professional knowledge and skills of degree holders who are interested to develop their careers in early childhood education and childcare services.
To align with the government’s initiative in upgrading the academic qualification of early childhood educare practitioners, graduates of the Programme will be trained to become self-reliant early childhood professionals equipped with in-depth knowledge, lifelong learning skills, and commitment to their profession, with the ability to facilitate learning in a constantly changing world and to promote high quality and innovative education and care for young children in the local early childhood education settings.
Students who have successfully completed the Programme and fulfilled all graduation requirements will be awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education.
Graduates of the Programme are recognised by the Education Bureau (EDB) as meeting the requirement for registration as teachers serving in kindergartens and kindergarten-cum-child care centres. Graduates are also recognised by the Social Welfare Department (SWD) for registrations as Child Care Workers and Child Care Supervisors.
The School of Continuing Education (SCE) has a vision for the development of professional training courses for local practitioners in basic education. The Early Childhood and Elementary Education Division (ECEED) is the academic arm of the School to foster the continuing professional development of quality teacher education programmes. The Division is the first higher education institute to offer early childhood education programme at the degree level and was commissioned by the government to offer the Bachelor of Education (Honours) Programme to practicing primary teachers in 1994. In view of the expanding need for quality training services in early childhood education, the ECEED made a firm commitment to uplift the professionalism of early childhood educare practitioners.
The Division offers a range of academic programmes on a full-time or part-time basis to provide pre-service and in-service training in basic education studies with qualifications awarded from certificate to postgraduate levels. All programmes are offered with a core emphasis on the advancement of academic qualifications as well as teaching skills for local early childhood and elementary education practitioners. With the continuous development of basic education programmes and the increasing number of government-commissioned courses operated in recent years, the ECEED has further affirmed its leading role and expertise in the provision and enhancement of early childhood and elementary education training in the community.
Associate Dean (Programme Development) and
Head (Early Childhood and Elementary Education) ：
|Dr. Amelia N.Y. Lee|
|Senior Lecturers ：||Dr. Vanessa H.K. Pang||Dr. Paulina P.S. Yuen|
Ms. Saxena Anika
Ms. Wong Shuk-yee
Ms. Phoebe O.H. Chan
Ms. Daisy K.M. Wong
Mr. Yu Kwan-fu
Dr. Franziska O.Y. Cheng
Ms. Kate P.K. Yun
This programme consists of 35 units.
|CECE 7101||Early Childhood Development||3|
|CECE 7102||Using Observation in Early Childhood Education||3|
|CECE 7103||Understanding How Children Learn||3|
|CECE 7104||Curriculum in Early Childhood Education||3|
|CECE 7105||Understanding Children with Diverse Needs||3|
|CECE 7106||Educational and Administrative Management in Early Childhood Education Settings||3|
|CECE 7107||Parental Involvement in Early Childhood Education||3|
|Elective Domain (2 out of 4 courses)|
|CECE 7305||Early Intervention for Children with Diverse Needs||3|
|CECE 7306||Leadership in Early Childhood Education||3|
|CECE 7308||Language and Literacy Development in the Early Years||3|
|CECE 7309||Professionalism of Early Childhood Educators||3|
|CECE 7501||Supervised Educare Practice I||2|
|CECE 7502||Supervised Educare Practice II||6|
Practical sessions will be provided for students to apply the theoretical concepts acquired. The practicum component covers 11 weeks of placement in a local kindergarten or kindergarten-cum-child care centre. Practicum training for part-time students will take place at their serving kindergartens.
The medium of instruction for formal classroom teaching is English.
- Recreation facilities
- Online course management system (Moodle)
- Medical and dental services (Applicable to full-time students only)
|Application Fee:||HK$350 for local applicants and HK$450 for non-local applicants|
HK$65,000 (full-time by two instalments/part-time by five instalments)
(subject to revision)
Students can apply for the Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (ELNS) from the government.
Click here for more information on the financial assistance available.
Applicants should hold a recognised Bachelor’s degree. For part-time mode, preferences will be given to in-service kindergarten teachers.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants should fulfill any one of the following requirements:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree which is obtained from a recognised institution where English is the medium of instruction; or
- Provide any of the following English test results for meeting the English proficiency requirements. The test result provided should be within two years from the date of issuance of the Admission Offer letter.
TOEFL*: 550 (Paper‐based), 79 (Internet‐based); or
IELTS (Academic): Overall Band at 6.5.
* The TOEFL institution code of the University is 9467.
Application for admission will be accepted once a year from November to January for the Autumn Intake.
- The completed application form together with the following supporting documents should be put in an envelope marked “Application for PGDECE” for submission to the School:
- A set of photocopies of credentials including degree certificate/graduation diploma, transcript, academic and public examination results, as well as evidence of work experience where applicable
- Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) Assessment Report (for holders of non-local academic qualifications only)
- A photocopy of HKID card and passport (Submission of passport is applicable to non-Hong Kong permanent residents only)
- A non-refundable and non-transferable application fee of HK$350 for local applicants and HK$450 for non-local applicants
- The completed “Acknowledgement of Application” with HK$2.0 postage stamp affixed
- A self-addressed envelope (size at 4” x 9”) with HK$3.0 postage stamp affixed
- Two Letters of Reference (to be submitted to the School directly by the referees)
- Applications must be submitted by post or by hand to:
|Address||Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education
Programme Administration Section
Early Childhood and Elementary Education Division
School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Baptist University
2/F Franki Centre, 320 Junction Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
“Application for PGDECE”
|Office Hours||Mon-Fri: 9:00 am-5:50 pm
(Enquiry hotline and service counter: 9:00 am-8:00 pm)
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview.
|Application Deadline||15 JAN 2020 (Wed)|
|Student Orientation||AUG 2020|
|Course Commencement||24 AUG 2020 (Mon)|
|Date||07 DEC 2019 (Sat)||17 DEC 2019 (Tue)|
|Time||2:30 -4:00 pm #1||
7:00 -8:30 pm #2
(No reservation of seats is needed.)
(No reservation of seats is needed.)
MC : 7/F, Millennium City 3, 370 Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon
WCH : 26/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen’s Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
#1 If Typhoon Signal No.8 or above is hoisted or Black Rainstorm Signal is in force at or after 11:00 am on the day of information seminar, the scheduled seminar will be cancelled.
#2 If Typhoon Signal No.8 or above is hoisted or Black Rainstorm Signal is in force at or after 3:00 pm on the day of information seminar, the scheduled seminar will be cancelled.
The School reserves the right to make changes as required.
- How long will I need to complete the programme?
This is a one-year full-time or two-year part-time programme.
- What is the study mode?
Face-to-face mode is adopted for the programme. Students will also have attachment and block placement in the assigned kindergartens (for full-time students) or their serving kindergartens (for part-time students).
- When will classes start?
Classes for the 2020 Autumn intake will start on 24 August 2020.
- Will the University acknowledge receipt of my application?
If applicants wish to receive an acknowledgement, please fill in your name and correspondence address with HK$2.0 stamp affixed on the Acknowledgement of Application.
- Do I need to attend any interviews?
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview in February/March/April 2020.
- How will I be notified if I am selected for interview?
Selected applicants will be notified by e-mail/phone.
- When will the University make the admission offer?
For the 2020 Autumn intake, admission offers will be made in April/May 2020 by post.