Skip to content

For students with disabilities and/or special educational needs (SEN) and wish to receive additional support and special arrangements, please follow the official SEN registration procedure as follows:

  • Register with the School of Continuing Education (SCE) if you are admitted into programmes offered by the School of Continuing Education (SCE) or the College of International Education (CIE) in HKBU. Click here for the contact information of respective units in SCE.

Registration Flow for Students


  1. Students are invited to declare their disability or special educational needs (SEN) to the Programme Administration on a voluntary basis in early September when they are newly admitted to HKBU.
  2. Applicants are required to submit medical proofs and supporting documents of the registration (i.e. a professional assessment report issued within five years which must contain the diagnostic statement identifying the disability condition and the recommendation on reasonable academic accommodations/adjustments and or/other support services, proofs of special examination arrangements in public examinations) in person.
  3. Consent to release confidential information is to be obtained from the student to facilitate communication with parties concerned.
  4. Applicants will receive application result notification via email.
  5. Student Development Centre (SDC) will contact registered students for an individual meeting to discuss further support that is considered as appropriate, reasonable, and effective.
  6. Guidance counsellors will liaise with related academic and administrative units for the necessary support services to facilitate student’s learning and experience of university life.

Documentation Criteria

Applicants should submit the following documentary evidence: (1) medical proof of the disability and (2) diagnostic, professional assessment report if SEN support service is required. Supporting documents in a language other than English and Chinese are generally not accepted.

(1) Medical Proof of Disability

  • The medical proof issued by a qualified specialist, a registered medical practitioner, the Hospital Authority, the Department of Health, the Education Bureau within five years generally will be accepted, unless otherwise specified.
  • The proof should clearly state the type of disability and provide a diagnostic statement identifying the disability condition as well as indicating whether the effects of the disability condition are permanent, temporary, episodic, or fluctuating.

(2) Diagnostic and Professional Assessment Report

  • Applicants with different SENs are required to submit specific supporting documents, i.e. diagnostic and professional assessment reports (details required as listed here) if specific support or intervention is needed.
  • The supporting document(s) should be issued within five years, unless otherwise specified, and provide the following suggested information:
    • Date of appointment AND the issuance date of assessment report;
    • Accessor’s full name, signature, certified professional status, and contact information;
    • A diagnostic statement identifying the disability condition(s);
    • Recommendations on reasonable academic accommodations or adjustments and/or other support services;
    • Impact of disability conditions on the learner’s academic learning and campus life.
  • Other supporting documents such as special academic adjustments, special examination accommodations approved by the previous college, secondary school, the Hong Kong Examination Assessment Authority, or other recognized public examination agencies will be accepted generally.

The University reserves the right to request clarification and/or further documentation of disability, more updated/additional information when deemed appropriate.

Requirements for Diagnostic and Professional Assessment Report

Please click here to know more about the requirements.

Action for Students

  1. To provide relevant information and sufficient documentation to support your requests.
  2. To participate in your support planning and implementation process, such as checking with your course instructors on the special arrangements prior to in-class assessment dates, providing feedback to course instructors on what works for you and what needs to be modified.
  3. To update the Programme Administration of any changes to your needs and/or difficulties.
  4. Students are strongly encouraged to register their special educational needs, if any, as early as possible. Current students with valid HKBU SCE studentships are also welcome to register their special educational needs anytime during the study when such needs arise.

Confidentiality and Privacy Protection

  1. Registration for disability or special educational needs (SEN) support is voluntary. Students are free to withdraw at any time without any consequences.
  2. Confidential data obtained from a registered student is used for the purposes of service arrangements, except where it is essential and under strict privacy agreement, or that it is required by law/regulation.
  3. The data collected will be handled with strict confidentiality in compliance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance of Hong Kong.
  4. Consent to release confidential information would be sought from the student during the declaration process. The registered student can request to review and amend the consent information at any time during the course of study at HKBU SCE. The given consent will expire upon graduation.


human decoration human decoration human decoration human decoration
human decoration human decoration human decoration human decoration human decoration