What is Special Educational Needs (SEN)?
Mental Illness is a condition that affects a person’s thinking, feeling, behavior or mood. These conditions deeply impact day-to-day living and may also affect the ability to relate to others. Research suggests mental health condition is not the result of one event, it has multiple linking causes. Genetics, environment and lifestyle influence whether someone develops a mental health condition.
Common mental health conditions are listed below:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Gender Dysphoria
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Signs and symptoms of mental illness can vary, depending on the disorder, circumstances and other factors. Examples of signs and symptoms include:
- Feeling sad or down
- Excessive fears or worries
- Extreme feelings of guilt
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping
- Excessive anger, hostility or violence
- Suicidal thinking
How To Support?
- Listen to them with patience, try to understand them
- Encourage them to explore activities that lead to their happiness, such as gathering with friends, exercising or watching movies