HKBU-SCE | School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Baptist University

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Applicants

Admissions Information Hub – Full-time Self-Funded Programmes 

  1. Where can I obtain application information and admission requirements of the full-time self-funded programmes offered by SCE?

The School of Continuing Education (SCE) has developed an Admissions Information Hub for Full-time Self-funded Programmes.  It contains all sorts of useful information including programme information, study paths, admission requirements, scholarships available and key dates.  It also enables you to make application direct and access to the “MySCE Application” system.    


Programme Webpages 

  1. Where can I find detailed information of a specific programme?

Please visit the webpage of individual programmes on SCE website.


Tuition Fees 

  1. What are the tuition fees?

Please visit the Admissions Information Hub for details. Note that the programmes charge a flat tuition fee and students have to settle the fee in two equal instalments annually, before the commencement of the first and second semesters.  Students are required to pay full tuition fees during the normal period of study.  In the case where a student has to retake any courses, additional fee will be charged. 


  1. What are the payment schedules?

All successful applicants are required to settle the tuition fee for the first semester of study before they commence on the programme.




Admission Schedules 

  1. When is the application deadline for full-time self-funded programmes?

The admission schedule can be found on the Admissions Information Hub.  We operate a rolling admission process for majority of the programmes, and the sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered.  You are therefore strongly advised to submit application early. 


Application for More than One Programme 

  1. Can I apply for more than one programme?

Yes, you can apply for more than one programme.  Each application will be considered by the respective Programme on an individual basis.


Late Applications 

  1. Does the School accept late applications after the deadline?

In general, applications submitted after the deadline may still be considered but priority will be given to applications received before the deadline.  To secure a place in the School for the coming academic year, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply early. 




Electronic Advance Application System for Post-secondary Programmes (E-APP)

  1. I am a current HKDSE candidate, how can I apply?

The Education Bureau has developed the Electronic Advance Application System for Post-secondary Programmes (E-APP).  The deadlines for E-APP main round application and second round application are 22 May and 10 July 2023 respectively.  Current HKDSE/JUPAS candidates may lodge advance applications for Higher Diploma and undergraduate programmes via E-APP.  As mentioned earlier, we operate a rolling admission process for majority of the programmes, and will make every effort to process your application before the release of HKDSE results.


You are required to make application through the SCE Online Admission System if you miss the deadline for E-APP second round application, or you intend to apply for programmes at Diploma level.


If you are an E-APP applicant, you may select more than one programme in your application and indicate the priority of your programme choice.   


Points to Note

To ensure that the applicants’ information received from E-APP is correct, we require all E-APP applicants to login to SCE Online Application System to review and confirm their application summary.  An acknowledgement email will be sent to the E-APP applicants as appropriate. 


SCE Online Application System 

  1. Who can make an application via the SCE Online Application System?

The SCE Online Application System accepts applications from non-current HKDSE/JUPAS candidates applying for programmes at all levels at all times.  It also accepts applications from current HKDSE/JUPAS candidates applying for programmes at Diploma level*.  Where current HKDSE candidates have missed the deadline for E-APP second round application, they may apply the Higher Diploma or undergraduate programmes on SCE Online Application System.


*From 5 December 2022 to 17 July 2023 (4 pm), applications for Diploma of Applied Education should be made via its website:


Other Application Methods

  1. Can I submit paper application?

We do not accept paper applications.  Please submit your application through the SCE Online Application System.


Application Acknowledgement and Application Number 

  1. How do I know if my application is successfully submitted?

When you have successfully submitted an application via SCE Online Application System, you will receive an application acknowledgement through email which contains an Application Number.  You will also receive information for the MySCE Application system for Higher Diploma or Undergraduate Programmes. 


If you are an E-APP applicant, you will receive an acknowledgement requesting you to confirm your application summary within a specified period.  You will receive your Application Number upon completion of the exercise.


Change of Registered Email / Address 

  1. I want to change my personal information, what can I do?

You may login to the MySCE Application system to update your email, correspondence address and phone number. For applicants of Diploma programmes, please contact the relevant Programme Administration Team for assistance.


Updating Information after Submission 

  1. Can I change my information after submitting the application?

You can only update your personal particulars such as email, contact number and correspondence address through the MySCE Application system.  If you want to change other information or if you are an applicant of Diploma programmes, please contact the relevant Programme Administration Team for assistance.  Supporting documents in some cases are required.


Change of Programme after Submission 

  1. Can I change my applied programme after submitting the application?

In general you are not allowed to change your applied programme.  However, you can submit a separate application through the SCE Online Application system.


Translation of Documents 

  1. Do I need to translate my academic documents into English?

Certificates and transcripts, which are not in English or Chinese, should be accompanied by an official certified translation in English.




Online Payment 

  1. How can I pay the application fee?

You can make payment through the online payment gateway by credit card (VISA, MasterCard or China UnionPay Card), online PPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay HK/CN, FPS, or by BOC Pay/UnionPay. You will be directed to the payment gateway after you have gone through all the pages.


Different application fees are charged for different programmes, please refer to the Admissions Information Hub for details.  


Refund of Application Fee 

  1. If I withdraw my application, can I get a refund of the paid application fee?

Application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.




Admission Interviews

Invitation for Interview

  1. Do I need to attend an interview?

Interview is mandatory for some programmes only.  For programmes where interview is not required, selection will be based on the information supplied by the applicants. 


Attending Interview  

  1. How do I know if I am shortlisted for an interview?

If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will be notified by email / phone. Please check your email regularly after submission of application.


Because of the pandemic, interviews will be conducted via Zoom.  You will be required to provide identity proof during the interview. Details will be conveyed to you by the respective Programme Administration Team.



Direct Offers

Applications without Interviews 

  1. If I haven’t received any invitation for interview, is my application unsuccessful?

Some programmes do not require interview and applicants will receive direct offer (or conditional offer if applicants have yet to fulfil the minimum entrance requirements). Successful applicants will receive individual notification by email. Please check your email regularly after submission of application. 



Application Results

Announcement of Results 

  1. When will I be informed of the application result?

Successful applicants will receive individual notifications by email.  Please check your email regularly after submission of application.  Applicants who have not been invited for interview nor given an offer may still be considered if the intake quota is not filled. Individual enquiries will not be entertained during the peak seasons.


Notice of Offer 

  1. I haven’t received my offer letter by post. What can I do?

Successful applicants will be notified of the results via the email address you provided during application. No hardcopy of offer package will be sent to you. In case you have changed your email address, please update directly through the MySCE Application system. For applicants of Diploma programmes, please contact the relevant Programme Administration Team for assistance. For applicants of Higher Diploma and Undergraduate Programmes, you may also login to your MySCE Application account to check your current application status.


Unsuccessful Applications 

  1. Will I be informed if my application is not successful?

Normally we do not issue individual notifications to unsuccessful or waitlisted applicants. You may assume your application is unsuccessful if you do not receive any offer before end of August.  Individual enquiries will not be entertained during the peak seasons.



Accepting Admission Offers

Debit Note Number  

  1. What is Debit Note Number?

The Debit Note Number is a set of unique numbers printed on the debit note issued to you along with your Notice of Offer.  It contains 15 numeric digits which is important for us to identify your payment.  If you are entitled to split the tuition fee to two payments, you will be issued two debit notes, and two sets of Debit Note Number will be generated.  Please make sure that the amount you pay and the Debit Note Number you quote correspond to the debit note.


Payment Deadline 

  1. When is the deadline for payment?

The payment due date is specified in the debit note.  Please observe it or otherwise we may assume that you do not accept the offer.


Payment of Deposit

  1. Is there any possibility for me to settle a deposit first?

You have an option to first settle an admission confirmation fee (deposit) forming part of the tuition fee by noon of 24 July 2023 if you are a current HKDSE candidate and are admitted to a Higher Diploma or an undergraduate programme before the above-mentioned date.


Extension of Deadline 

  1. Can I defer the payment deadline?

To retain a study place, you are required to pay the tuition fee before the deadline. Normally we do not accept applications for payment deferral from new students.  If you have genuine needs, please approach the Programme Administration Team.   


Fee Refund

  1. Can I have my tuition fee refunded?

All fees paid are non-refundable and non-transferrable.


Change of Programme after Accepting Offer 

  1. If I want to change programme after accepting an offer, what should I do?

You are not allowed to change your applied programme after accepting the offer.  However, if you got another offer from another programme of SCE or CIE, you may write to the Programme Administration Team of your first admitted programme if you decide to take up the other offer.   Your tuition fee may be transferred to the new programme on discretionary basis.


Student Number & Student Card 

  1. When will I be informed of my student number and collect my student card?

You will be considered as having completed programme registration if you have settled thetuition fee (and other fees, if applicable) by the stipulated deadline.  An email on which your student number is stated will be sent to you after the above deadline and you will then be required to upload a recent passport-style photo to the Student Card Photo System for production of your student card.  Normally you can collect your student card before commencement of study. 


Student Email

  1. When will I get access to the student email account?

As a full-time student of SCE, you will be created a Single Sign On user id (SSOid) which will enable you to access to a variety of IT services including but not limited to email.  Your SSOid is pre-defined to be your student number. 


The Programme Administration Team will instruct you on how to activate your SSOid during programme orientation.  To learn more about the IT services available, please visit the webpage of the Office of Information Technology on HKBU website.



Deferred Admission

Apply for Deferred Admission

  1. If I need to defer admission, what should I do?

You are required to write to the Programme Administration Team and specify your reasons with supporting documents (if applicable).  Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.  For approved cases, the maximum period for deferral of admission is one academic year.  Further extension will not be considered.  Applicants will also need to pay the tuition fee.




Definition of Non-local Applicants

  1. How do I know if I am local or non-local applicant?

According to the Education Bureau (EDB), a non-local student, for the purpose of admission to our programmes, is defined as a holder of the following documents issued by the Immigration Department:


  • student visa / entry permit; or
  • visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
  • dependant visa / entry permit (You were 18 years old or above when you were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR.)


To make direct enquiries on the definition of non-local students, please contact the EDB (Email:; Fax: (852) 2804 6499). 


Student Visa / Entry Permit 

  1. How do I apply for a student visa?

After you have accepted the admission offer and paid the tuition fee, the Registry will assist you to apply for a student visa.  Since it normally takes at least 6 to 8 weeks to process your visa application, please return the completed application form along with the required supporting documents as required via your Programme Administration Team as soon as possible.  You will be notified once your student visa is ready.


Dependent Visa / Entry Permit 

  1. Am I regarded as a non-local student if I hold a dependent visa?

If you hold a dependent visa (and you were 18 years old or above when you were issued with such visa), you are regarded as a Non-local student.  When you submit an online application, please upload a copy of your Dependent visa label and indicate the expiry date.  Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have a valid visa which covers your study period. You should inform the University about the change of your condition of stay by providing relevant documentary proof to us as soon as possible.




Application and Eligibility of Entrance Scholarships

  1. Can I apply for scholarship?

Some of our programmes offer entrance scholarship to new students.  Please visit the Admissions Information Hub for details.