Programme Code: CP0268
Professional Certificate in Banking
This programme aims at providing students with solid knowledge and skills in contemporary banking system and operations in Hong Kong. It is designed to equip students with the professional knowledge of financial planning, banking operations, credit analysis, derivatives, risk management, legal and regulatory aspects of banking. Hence, students are well-equipped with solid theoretical and practical grounding and are able to develop appropriate professional skills to enhance their career goals in the banking industry.
This programme consists of 5 courses:
|Course Code||Course Title||科目名稱||Hours|
|1.||FIN4103||Personal Financial Planning||個人財務策劃||30|
Personal Financial Planning
This course aims to provide students with skills and techniques to perform financial planning for personal financial decisions. This course will focus on the understanding of the overall financial planning process, and examine the major aspects of financial planning. Topics include:
- Principles of financial planning;
- Personal financial records;
- Time value of money;
- Investment instruments;
- Tax planning;
- Insurance policies and planning;
- Retirement planning; and
- Estate planning.
|2.||FNS4101||Banking Operations in Hong Kong||香港銀行業務運作||30|
Banking Operations in Hong Kong
The aims of this course are to provide students with an examination of the contemporary banking system and operations in the context of Hong Kong banking industry. Topics include:
- Hong Kong banking systems;
- Services in retail banking;
- Services in corporate banking;
- Fund transfer;
- International trade finance;
- Foreign exchange services;
- Introduction to islamic finance; and
- Trends and challenges.
|3.||FNS4102||Credit Risk Management in Banking||銀行信貸風險管理||30|
Credit Risk Management in Banking
This course aims to provide students with an examination of the nature and management of credit risk in banking. Analysis on contemporary theoretical concepts and practical applications will be studied with various issues on risk management. Topics include:
- Nature and types of risk;
- General principles of lending;
- Credit risk analysis;
- Credit risk management and control;
- Estimating default probabilities for credit risk;
- Credit risk losses and credit value-at-risk (CVaR); and
- Lessons from the credit crunch.
|4.||FIN4106||Derivatives and Financial Risk Management||衍生工具與財務風險管理||30|
Derivatives and Financial Risk Management
This course aims to provide students with an understanding of major financial derivatives in Hong Kong and an overview of risk management in the financial markets. Emphasis will be placed on the pricing techniques of various techniques and the contemporary view of risk management according to the Basel Accord. Topics include:
- Overview of derivatives markets and financial risk management;
- Determination of forward and futures prices;
- Stock options valuation;
- Exotics options and nonstandard products;
- The basel accord;
- Market risk management;
- Credit risk management; and
- Operational risk management.
|5.||FNS4103||Legal and Regulatory Environment of Banking||銀行業法律與監管||30|
Legal and Regulatory Environment of Banking
This course aims to provide students with broad knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment of banking in Hong Kong. Students will also be able to apply and evaluate some legal issues related to negotiable instruments, bankers’ securities, guarantee and mortgage. Topics include:
- Development of the legal and regulatory framework;
- Role and functions of regulatory bodies;
- Ethics in Banking Sector;
- Banker-Customer Relationship;
- Bills of Exchange;
- Mortgage; and
- Incorporated Company Security.
Duration and Mode of Study
9-12 months part-time
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese supplemented with English
Students who have successfully completed 5 required courses will be awarded the Professional Certificate in Banking.
Application Fee: HK$120
Tuition Fee: HK$14,750
March / July / November of every year
Course Schedule and Venue
Classes and examinations will be held on weekday evenings and Saturday afternoons (normally two classes per week) at Kowloon Tong / Kowloon East / Tsimshatsui / Wan Chai Learning Centre.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Level 2 in five HKDSE subjects including English and Chinese (and up to 2 APL subjects) or equivalent and 2 years' relevant work experience; OR
- Successful completion of Yi Jin Diploma and 2 years' relevant work experience; OR
- Holder of a relevant School of Continuing Education (SCE) Diploma or Certificate or other equivalent non-SCE qualifications; OR
- Aged 21 or above, preferably with 3 years' relevant work experience.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE IN BANKING is recognized under the QFThe above information is for reference only. The School reserves the right to make alterations without prior notice.
QF Level: 4
QR Registration no.: 15/003013/L4
Registration Validity Period: 28/08/2015 to On-going
Students are advised to follow the requirements listed in the course information distributed on admission.